Humanitarian and Compassionate Applications
HUMANITARIAN AND COMPASSIONATE GROUNDS APPLICATION
Foreign nationals who may not be eligible to become permanent residents of Canada because they are inadmissible or do not meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act may be able to apply for an exemption on humanitarian and compassionate grounds.
RULES FROM IMMIGRATION CANADA
- You may only ask for humanitarian and compassionate grounds if you are applying for permanent resident status in Canada, or for a permanent resident visa abroad. We will not look at H&C requests from temporary resident applicants.
- You cannot have more than one humanitarian and compassionate grounds application at the same time.
- We will not assess risk factors such as persecution, risk to life, cruel and unusual treatment or punishment.
- You cannot apply for humanitarian and compassionate grounds if you have a pending refugee claim. If you want to apply, you must withdraw your refugee claim before your Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada (IRB) hearing.
- You cannot apply for humanitarian and compassionate grounds if you had a negative decision from the IRB within the last 12 months. This is called the “one year bar.” (If the IRB decides your refugee claim is abandoned or withdrawn, that counts as a negative decision.) The bar does not apply if:
- you have children under 18 who would be adversely affected if you were removed from Canada, or
- you have proof that you or one of your dependants suffers from a life-threatening medical condition that cannot be treated in your home country.
Our Legal Services
As your immigration lawyer, Eastman Law Office will prepare your Humanitarian and Compassionate Grounds Application from start to finish ensuring that it is thoroughly prepared and well supported with an abundance of documentary evidence establishing that you have met all of the requirements set out in the Citizenship Act and its regulations. We work with you to make certain that your application has the best possibility of being approved.
Once your application is submitted Citizenship and Immigration Canada all future correspondence and communications pertaining to your application directly will be sent to Eastman Law Office. Our law office will continue to be your legal representative until a final determination is made on your Humanitarian and Compassionate Grounds Application. Should any issue arise in the processing of your Humanitarian and Compassionate Grounds application, Eastman Law Office will address it immediately.
Call Eastman Law Office at (905) 451-1550 or e-mail us at email@example.com to have our law office prepare and submit your Humanitarian and Compassionate Grounds application.